USBasp – USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers
USBasp is a USB in-circuit programmer for Atmel AVR controllers. It simply consists of an ATMega88 or an ATMega8 and a couple of passive components. The programmer uses a firmware-only USB driver, no special USB controller is needed.
- Works under multiple platforms. Linux, Mac OS X and Windows are tested.
- No special controllers or smd components are needed.
- Programming speed is up to 5kBytes/sec.
- SCK option to support targets with low clock speed (< 1,5MHz).
- Planned: serial interface to target (e.g. for debugging).
Firmware and circuit
The following packages include circuit and firmware.
usbasp.2011-05-28.tar.gz (519 kB) TPI support (upcoming release of avrdude will use it), supports programmers with ATMega88 and ATMega8.
usbasp.2009-02-28.tar.gz (260 kB)
usbasp.2007-10-23.tar.gz (172 kB)
usbasp.2007-07-23.tar.gz (176 kB)
usbasp.2006-12-29.tar.gz (118 kB) Supports programmers with ATMega48 and ATMega8.
usbasp.2006-09-16.tar.gz (116 kB) New VID/PID!
usbasp.2005-11-14.tar.gz (175 kB)
usbasp.2005-07-03.tar.gz (166 kB)
usbasp.2005-04-21.tar.gz (169 kB)
Please refer to Readme.txt for details on building, installing and using USBasp.
On Linux and MacOS X no kernel driver is needed. Windows requires a driver for USBasp:
usbasp-windriver.2011-05-28.zip (70 kB)
- AVRDUDE supports USBasp since version 5.2.
- BASCOM-AVR supports USBasp since version 126.96.36.199.
- Khazama AVR Programmer is a Windows XP/Vista GUI application for USBasp and avrdude.
- eXtreme Burner – AVR is a Windows GUI Software for USBasp based USB AVR programmers.